Now that I had level generation "working" (I use that term lightly, since I am sure it really isn't), the levels started to look empty. Everything was flat shiny tiles and there was nothing to do (we had enemies, but at this point they just stood there and didn't move). While someone else made the enemies come to life, I looked into making the levels a bit more populated, but with scenery.
The tiles themselves were just plain Unity Materials, so I thought about adding sprites to the top of the tiles to try and make them appear like Grass, Dirt, Sand and Water respectively.
I drew some grass and stuck it on the Grass tile and the result kind of worked. I needed to keep consistent with the rest of the tiles, so I came up with some other drawing to place on the tiles while I tweaked the level generation code some more.
Since I had no idea how to use Blender (the free 3D Modeling tool, not the appliance -- I definitely know how to use the appliance!) and another of our group members was creating our enemy and player models), I took some of this week's time to teach myself a few of the basics of making objects using the program. Not much progress this week, but at least the tiles aren't plain looking.

No comments:
Post a Comment